The weather is beginning to change, and we are so excited that the days are getting longer. While the rest of the country may still be in deep winter, California is already feeling the Spring thaw. We are looking forward to everything that the month of February has to offer, from fun local events to reading up on favorite design ideas and delicious recipes that utilize seasonal produce. Join use below as we review the best of the month.
1. This month, San Francisco’s Fort Mason hosts the SF Chronicle annual wine tasting competition, the largest competition of American winemakers under one roof. Head that way to enjoy tastings from over 7,000 winemakers. Don’t worry, there are food pairings with every tasting, just in case you indulge a little too much. Via Fort Mason, San Francisco Chronicle, image via IACAC.org
2. It can be easy to get swept up in a fad. It’s always a good idea to step back and make sure that you have created something true to your personal style that will outlast any “trendy” elements that have been incorporated. It’s refreshing to see a blog post about making design mistakes, and how to course correct to make something enduring. Via Eye Swoon.
3. We aren’t necessarily the cheesy Valentine’s day types, but we do appreciate any chance to get out into nature, so this guided hike through Big Basin is right up our alley. The cheeky tour guides you through the courtships of our local flora and fauna, so it’s the perfect fun and off-the-beaten path date. It’s happening February 12th at 11:30 am, and it only costs $10 for the day use parking. Via santacruz.org, California Department of Parks and Recreation.
4. Laughter really can be the best medicine, and sometimes laughing at ourselves can lighten up irritating tasks. As interior enthusiasts, we are also cleaning neat freaks even though it can be tedious. Since spring cleaning is right around the corner, we thought we would share this hilarious list of cleaning related tweets that take the sting out of the process. Via Apartment Therapy
5. With spring right around the corner, we are seeing a crop of delicious seasonal vegetables popping up at the Farmer’s Market. There is broccoli, leeks, kale and incredible citrus, just to name a few. Enjoy all the end of Winter cozy vegetables with these 50 easy winter dinners. The cod with broccoli and lemon seems especially delicious. Via Delish.
6. We are suckers for gorgeous wall treatments, so we never tire of looking at lists of wallpaper. These 13 wallpapers over on Design Sponge are all incredibly beautiful, it is hard to choose which one is our favorite. Although this mustard and floral pattern is hard to beat. Via Design Sponge.
7. Speaking of Valentine’s Day, If you need the perfect romantic gift for your guy or gal, come down to the stores to peruse their selection. We are especially loving a locally made Scott French cuff (shown) or a Corral Made apron for that special someone. Via Stripe Santa Cruz
8. The great Santa Cruz tradition comes back to the Boardwalk this February. It’s the Santa Cruz Clam Chowder Cook Off, which is a friendly competition with both amateur and professional chefs. Clam chowder is synonymous with our wharf and beach front, so this competition is a great way to show case all of our community’s great local talent. Grab a tasting spoon and cup (all proceeds benefit our city’s Parks and Recreation department) and head down to the Boardwalk the last weekend of February for this tasty event. Via Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.