April is bursting with spring energy, from flowers blooming to vegetables growing to flurries of outdoor activity. We are excited for everything that April has to offer, and can’t wait to frolic through the California sunshine this month. Below, our picks for the best events in Northern California and articles from around the web.
1. On display this month, the crochet coral reef at UCSC’s Mary Sesnon Gallery CO2CA-CO2LA Ocean by Margaret and Christine Wertheim and the Institute For Figuring brings awareness to oceanic environmental issues and human impact on our oceans. A satellite crochet coral reef will open in May at the Seymour Center, knit by members of the UCSC and Santa Cruz community if you aren’t able to see the one on campus. Via UCSC.
2. In addition to spring eats, we are looking forward to finally being in the mood for frozen treats, like these boozy Lemon Raspberry Sorbet Prosecco Floats. Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a warm spring day. Via How Sweet Eats.
3. Online shopping has made finding beautiful home goods so much easier, but it’s hard when you can’t test drive the sofa that is calling your name. This ongoing Apartment Therapy segment rates the relative comfort of sofas from popular online retailers (like CB2 and West Elm). It is a huge help in deciding which sofa is the perfect fit for your home and your behind. Via Apartment Therapy. Image via West Elm
4. The 2017 Santa Cruz Waves Swellies awards are on Thursday April 20th at 6 pm. The Swellies are also moving to a larger venue this year, the Museum of Art and History downtown for an even livelier event. We are so excited to see if the Stripe stores get any honors, along with many other great local businesses. Via Santa Cruz Waves, Eventbrite. Image via Stripe MEN Santa Cruz.
5. The Downtown Farmer’s Market is bursting with produce, which makes it the perfect time to bust out seasonal recipes. If you need any inspiration to get going, peruse this list of spring recipes that is sure to entice you off the computer and into the kitchen. Via Bon Appetit.
6. Every year since 1977, prominent local interior designers are picked in San Francisco to participate in a Decorator’s Showcase Home. These stately homes are given a complete makeover room by room and then open to the public during the weekend of ______. An interesting way to see how designer’s styles can vary vastly in one home, with ticket proceeds benefitting a local high school. Via San Francisco Decorator’s Showcase.
7. The bay area is home to many wonderful artists, including the largest artist’s studio community, the Hunter Point Shipyard Artists in San Francisco. They are opening their studios to the public in April for an event featuring 125 artists. Original art work is what makes a home special, and it is one key part that takes time and energy to be done well. Events like these make it easier to layer those forever pieces into your home. Via Hunter Point Shipyard Artists.
8. We always love exploring the coastal region we call home, and we also love perusing antiques, so we are excited when these two things come together. The Petaluma Antique Fair takes place on April 30 and seems like the perfect event to have as the center of a weekend wine country getaway. Explore quaint downtown Petaluma and then head into surrounding Napa and Sonoma for the perfect Northern California April mini vacation. Via Downton Petaluma.